COST OF PRODUCTION Information Sheet
Agdex #: 821
Author: Colleen Younie
History: Revised December 2013. Original November 2007
Understanding your cost of production is a vital step in any successful business. Cost of production information allows you to make informed decisions, plan for the future and to evaluate the profitability of each aspect of your business.
On a farm, cost of production information allows:
- A vegetable producer to identify which crops are most profitable,
- A hog producer to decide at which point they can sell their hogs to maximize their profits,
- A dairy producer to decide at what price they should purchase more quota, or
- A beef producer with a feedlot to identify which cow-calf producer sells the most profitable animals.
Below are links to calculators and analyses of cost of production from across Canada. Through the use of these tools, cost of production information can be tracked to contribute to the success of your farm enterprise.
- Feeder to Finish Calculator – with detailed feed cost information for PEI-specific inputs
- Cow-Calf Cost of Production Calculator (Ontario)
- Calf to Finish Cost of Production Calculator (Ontario)
- Short keep to Finish Cost of Production Calculator (Ontario)
- Break-even Analysis for Feeder Cattle (Alberta)
- Dairy Enterprise Budget (Ontario)
Value Added / Direct Marketing
- On-Farm Processing Recipe Based Costing Tool (Ontario)
- Performance Analysis by Marketing Channel (Ontario)
- Cost of Meat Processing Tool (Ontario)