Skip to Main Content
Public Archives and Records Office
print small medium large 


Online Exhibits

Charlottetown 1855 - 2005

Larger Image (69.6 KB)
PARO Acc. 2320/58-2
Queen Charlotte, 1765
"Prince Edward Island was called St. John's Island after it was taken over by the British in 1763." The Surveyor General, Captain Samuel Holland, suggested the current site of Charlottetown should be one of the primary Island towns. In 1765 Charlotte Town became the capital city of the province. The above image from the Charlottetown Camera Club Collection is of Queen Charlotte, consort of George III, after whom the city of Charlottetown is named. Source: Supplement to the Journal Pioneer, 24 November 1966

Return to Exhibit Listings

To see more of the images from this and other collections visit the Public Archives and Records Office, 4th Floor, Hon. George Coles Building, Richmond Street in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.
For more information about the Public Archives and its holdings, please visit
back to top