Skip to Main Content
Public Archives and Records Office
print small medium large 

HOME /


Online Exhibits

Inns and Hotels

More>>>
Larger Image (46.2 KB)
PARO Acc. 2301/246 (?)
Island Park Hotel, Holman's Island
 
In 1872, James L. Holman, a native New Brunswicker, opened his Island Park Hotel on Holman's Island in Summerside Harbour. Built at a cost of $80,000, the 125-room "American style" hotel, included a dining room, recreation and billiards rooms, bath-houses, bowling alleys, croquet grounds, fishing, yachting, paths through the woods with rustic seats, and a carriage road encircling the shore. The Island Park Hotel was easily accessible by continuous steamer service between the Island and Summerside. After Holman's death in 1877, the hotel closed and never re-opened, burning on December 4, 1904.
Next>>>

Return to Exhibit Listings

To see more of the images from this and other collections visit the Public Archives and Records Office, 4th Floor, Hon. George Coles Building, Richmond Street in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.
back to top