Skip to Main Content
Public Archives and Records Office
print small medium large 

HOME /


Online Exhibits

History of Charlottetown's Public Library

More>>>
Larger Image (24.9 KB)
PARO Acc. 2764/1.12
Hon. Thomas Dodd, 1875
 
In 1900, the Hon. Thomas W. Dodd (1819-1900), a Charlottetown merchant and politician, left a bequest of $5,000.00 for the establishment of a public library. In 1905, the Trustees of the Dodd Library Fund, in agreement with the Legislative Assembly, purchased books for the public to be placed in the Legislative Library housed in Province House. This became known as the Dodd Library. Since 1890 the public could gain access to the Legislative Library, provided permission was received from a member of the Legislature or the Speaker, however, library hours and collections were limited. With the Dodd bequest, the public had access to increased holdings.
Next>>>

Return to Exhibit Listings

To see more of the images from this and other collections visit the Public Archives and Records Office, 4th Floor, Hon. George Coles Building, Richmond Street in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.
back to top