Supreme Court -old
Office of the Prothonotary and Registrar in Bankruptcy
42 Water Street
P.O. Box 2000
General Inquiries: (902) 368-6067
The Prothonotary is appointed pursuant to Section 20 of the Supreme Court Act and performs the following functions for the Court:
- Assessment of all costs, both party-party and solicitor-client costs;
- mediates all small claims cases,
- conducts garnishee hearings, and criminal show-cause hearings for Provincial Court,
- executes conveyances, transfers or mortgages ordered by the Court,
- and is also authorized to issue subpoenas for inferior courts/tribunals,
- and to hear all uncontested motions, applications and references.
The Prothonotary is also the Registrar in Bankruptcy and as such files all bankruptcy documents and conducts and renders decisions in contested bankruptcy hearings.