The PEI Public Service Commission developed a diversity awareness training series to meet the needs of an increasing diverse workforce and Island population. This training is intended to increase the understanding of diversity by identifying and clarifying definitions of diversity & diversity related key terms. There are three (3) training modules currently available, with all three (3) modules developed for PEI public service managers and employees.
Diversity training objectives:
- to enhance knowledge of participants resulting in an increase level of appreciation for diversity and become familiar with workplace diversity;
- to learn how diversity issues impact us in our daily interaction and in the workplace;
- to generate open, honest, and frank dialogue through sharing information and active participation;
- to have identified personal goals;
- to provide participants with information on rationale of legislative framework and human rights act;
- to achieve an understanding of the benefits of a diverse labour force;
- to attain a commitment to change and progress by valuing differences.
Valuing Diversity module was developed and is delivered to employees and managers to raise their understanding of diversity, diversity related terms, and various legislation and human rights framework.
Cultural Diversity module was developed and is delivered to employees and managers to raise their understanding of diversity and cultural aspects, including immigration trends, multicultural awareness cultural sensitivity and population demographics.
This is a training module for senior managers on diversity awareness and diversity management in the workplace. Diversity management responsibilities such as accountability, leadership and diversity related conflict resolution are also addressed.