Did You Know?
- The 4 designated groups identified by the PEI Government's Diversity Policy are Aboriginal peoples, Persons with Disabilities, Members of Visible Minorities, Women in Leadership and Management and Men and Women in Non-Traditional Roles.
- The piece of equipment that dates back to the 6th century, and was found inscribed on a stone slate in China, and also dating back to the German Renaissance is the Wheelchair - (source: Wikepedia).
- February is designated as Black History Month.
- Employment Equity means more than treating individuals in the same way, but also requires managing human resources so that no individual shall be denied employment opportunities or benefits for reasons unrelated to ability.
- Lennox Island First Nation and Abegweit First Nation are the names of the two First Nations communities on P.E.I.
- Approximately 16% of people in Prince Edward Island have some form of disability - Source: PALS 2001.
- There are approximately 78 different ethnic groups in PEI, which includes its original inhabitants - the Mi’kmaq, as well as people of British, Irish, Scottish, French and other ethnic groups.
- Lebanese community first immigrated in 1880s, and is considered as one of PEI's largest ethno-cultural groups.
- There are 53 countries that are members of the Commonwealth Organization as of February 2007.
- It is true that half the women and a quarter of all men will be affected by depression at some period during their lives.
- Yes , it is appropriate to shake hands with a person who has a disability, even if they have limited use of their hands or wear an artificial limb - (source: Ric Garren, Challenge Magazine).
- Four (4) in ten Canadians have more than one ethnic ancestry - (Source: DiversiPro Inc.)
- Two hundred ethnic (200) groups were represented in 2001 census - (Source: DiversiPro Inc.)
- By 2017, 1 in 5 Canadians will be a Visible Minority person - (Source: Statistics Canada)
- By 2030, net immigration may become the ONLY source of population growth in Canada - (Source: Statistics Canada)
- 80% of accommodations for Persons with Disabilities can be made for less than $500 - Job Accommodation Network.
- “Coming out of the closet” means no longer keeping one’s sexual orientation or gender identity a secret from one or more persons, e.g., friends, family members, colleagues.
- Cultural Intelligence means being skilled and flexible about understanding a culture and learning more about it from ones on-going interactions with it.
Notable Diversity Quotes
- Diversity - it's not an obligation - it's an opportunity.
- We all smile in the same language.
- For all our differences, we share one world. To be tolerant is to welcome the differences and delight in the sharing.
- When you think you have mastered diversity, try again!
- What is needed is to move beyond the “one-size-fits-all” model of management
- If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity
- Creating and managing a diverse workforce is a process, not a destination
- As long as the differences and diversities of mankind exist, democracy must allow for compromise, for accommodation, and for the recognition of differences.
- There is no question that it’s easier to manage people who are the same, but we are not-and it is not our similarities that cause our problems.
- Every person is, in many respects, like all other people, like some other people, like no other person.
- We have become not a melting pot but a beautiful mosaic. Different people, different beliefs, different yearnings, different hopes, different dreams.
- If we are to achieve a richer culture, rich in contrasting values, we must recognize the whole gamut of human potentialities, and so weave a less arbitrary social fabric, one in which each diverse human gift will find a fitting place.
- People and their differences make up the foundation of an organization’s ability to develop broad perspectives and to approach business problems in new and creative ways.
- If organizations are to compete in the changing marketplace, and if they are to treat all employees with equal respect, diversity is essential.