Assistant Deputy Minister of Environment, Prince Edward Island Department of Environment, Labour and JusticeAn opportunity to make a real difference
Based in Charlottetown, working as an Assistant Deputy Minister (ADM) with the Government of Prince Edward Island, you can leverage your leadership skills, influence, and expertise to make a real difference as the province shapes its environmental initiatives for today and future generations. You will have responsibility for a wide range of programs, services and activities related to environmental protection, land development, and inspection services.
Your primary responsibilities as the ADM are to provide advice and support to the Minister and Deputy Minister of Environment, Labour and Justice, recommend and implement government policies and plans, provide leadership and guidance to related functional areas through the Director and senior management team, and manage fiscal and human resources. You will find the right solutions for the environment and the people of PEI.
As the Assistant Deputy Minister of Environment, you will:
- Provide executive leadership in furthering government-wide goals and objectives and ensure information about the environment is timely, accurate, readily available and easily understood, and allows people, industry and communities to support and comply with regulations.
- Provide expert advice to the Minister and Deputy Minister on all issues related to air, water and land management and development, and inspection services.
- Direct diverse programs and manage complex issues.
- Continuously evaluate those programs to ensure they are effective and efficient.
- Understand business planning, performance management and accountability processes.
- Cultivate and sustain a workplace culture that enables staff to achieve results and develop and build organizational capacity for the future.
- Lead government in establishing processes, standards and legislation necessary to effectively implement, manage and continuously improve results-based environmental regulations.
- Represent the department on various federal, provincial and territorial committees, and task forces and with stakeholders and related organizations to provide strategic input and perspectives on program initiatives.
- Provide support to the Environmental Advisory Council.
- Provide leadership and support to the Deputy Minister Council on interdepartmental initiatives.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- A seasoned leader with an exceptional track record of accomplishment and a strong technical foundation.
- A related degree preferably at the post-graduate level or an engineering degree and extensive knowledge of environmental management and protection.
- Continuous learner with management education and/or training who has worked in complex decision-making environments.
- Experience dealing with highly visible, complex and sensitive issues.
- Proven capability to identify and deliver key strategic insights, counsel and policy; high degree of innovation and accountability.
- Credibility within the environmental community, including key contributors and decision-makers within government, academia and industry.
- Strong leadership and team building skills, with a demonstrated ability to mentor and develop staff; ability to build a high-performing inclusive workplace culture; demonstrated consensus-building skills.
- Diplomatic, professional, persuasive and tactful, with excellent written and presentation skills that enable you to communicate technical and complex issues in a clear and concise manner to internal and external audiences.
Qualified applicants should submit a current resume with a full list of qualifications, accompanied by three references no later than 4:00 p.m., February 14, 2014 to:
Clerk of Executive Council and Secretary to Cabinet
By mail: 5 Floor Shaw Building,
95-105 Rochford Street,
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
By fax: (902) 368-6118