District Advisory Councils
The mandate of the Family of Schools District Advisory Councils is to help shape an education system that is focused on and meets the needs of learners, by advising the Minister of Education, Early Learning and Culture on education matters.
List of current members, meeting highlights, and upcoming meetings
Family of Schools District Advisory Councils
District Advisory Councils will:
- Advise the Minister of Education, Early Learning and Culture on education issues
- Identify education priorities within their own district Engage school communities in discussions
- Foster collaboration among school councils, home and school associations and the community
“Youth have a unique perspective and important things to say. They are highly capable of making a valuable contribution to education governance. The voice of youth needs to be heard on an ongoing basis. Students are the reason the system exists.” - Charting the way, PEI Education Governance Commission (2012)The councils will consider a balance between local issues brought forward by council members and topics that the Department of Education, Early Learning and Culture is seeking advice on. For example:
- Student attendance
- Length / time of school day
- Learner supports
- Technology in learning
- Experiential learning opportunities
- Student transitions from primary to secondary levels
- One parent from each school council/home and school association in the family of schools
- Two students from high schools within the family of schools
- A Regional director of the PEI home and school federation for the family of schools
- Each advisory council will select its own Chair
These councils will consist of:
In the spirit of transparency and accountability, the councils’ minutes, meeting notes and reports will be made public.
As we move forward, we will ensure there will be a collaborative and inclusive approach to including the French language learning system in advisory councils.
These eight district advisory councils are loosely based on the existing families of schools.
|Family of Schools||Enrolment|
Meeting formatRepresentatives are encouraged to bring any information forward to the Council meetings that may be of interest to other parents and students.
The meetings are open and broad discussions on issues, concerns, celebrations and wonderings about education in our province.
At the end of the meeting, representatives are encouraged to go back to their school community and gather information on the priorities for their school and areas that might be discussed at our next meeting.
Feedback surveys are completed to record priorities of each member and as input on ways to improve the process and set up agenda items for next meetings.
The following links include an overview of each discussion. It is not a comprehensive record, but an attempt to pull out key themes from each group. A full record of discussion will be returned to each DAC for consideration before posting online.
- Morell/Souris Family of Schools
- Montague Family of Schools District Advisory Council
- Colonel Gray Family of Schools
- Charlottetown Rural Family of Schools
- Bluefield Family of Schools District Advisory Council
- Kensington/Kinkora Family of Schools District Advisory Council
- Three Oaks Family of Schools District Advisory Council
- Westisle Family of Schools District Advisory Council