Skip to Main Content
Bookmark and Share print small medium large 


Home Schooling

Parents interested in providing a Home Education Program for their children must notify the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development of their intention before the commencement of the school year. They can do this by completing the Notice of Parent's Intention to Home School and Proposed Home Education Program available below.

Parents should review the School Act, Section B - Home Education (sections 139 and 140), Section O - Attendance and Placement of Students (sections 51 and 52), and the revised section on Home Education Programs of the School Act Private Schools and Home Education Regulations (sections 19, 21, 22 and 23).

It is the parents' responsibility to maintain academic records of their home education program. It is recommended that parents keep a portfolio of their child’s work. The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development does not provide credits or graduation certificates to students who have been home schooled. Post-secondary institutions and/or employers determine whether the student’s documentation and portfolio meets their requirements for admission or employment. If, or when, a home-schooled child returns to the public school system, the School Board will determine the student's grade level.

Home schooled students using the provincial curriculum may obtain books through the Provincial Learning Materials Distribution Centre (PLMDC) of the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development. There is a fee of $50.00 per child for these materials which is refunded when the books are returned. Please refer to the Home Schooling Program of Studies for a list of materials and description of courses.


back to top