Exploring the Skilled Trades in High SchoolThere are a variety of skilled trades courses available in high schools across Prince Edward Island. Students can take courses in carpentry, automotive, food services, welding or other areas.
- Courses in carpentry can lead to a whole range of construction related careers.
- Courses in automotive can lead to a whole range of transportation careers.
- Courses in welding can lead to a whole range of metal fabrication careers.
- Courses in food services can lead to a whole range of hospitality and culinary careers.
To learn more about specific skilled trades courses offered at your high school, seak with your school counselor or check out the school calendar.
Exploring a Career in Skilled Trades? Other courses and activities to consider:
1. One or more Cooperative Education Courses will allow you to explore a trades career.
2. Applied Math 801A
Visit Skills Canada-PEI or speak with one of the skilled trades instructors at your school. Skills-Canada PEI is a non-profit organization that offers provincial skills competions in trade and technology projects. Gold medal winners from PEI have the opportunity to compete at national and international competitions.
- www.careersintrades.ca - Discover facts about a career in the skilled trades
- carsyouth.ca - Information about transportation related careers
- red-seal.ca - The Red Seal program was established to provide greater mobility across Canada for skilled workers. Apprentices who have completed apprenticeship training are obtain a Red Seal endorsement on their certificate of qualification when successfully completing an interprovincial standards exam.
- www.careercruising.com - Explore occupations or other career opportunities in work, apprenticeship, college or university.