Skip to Main Content


Bookmark and Share print small medium large 


Special Waste Disposal Permit

When do I need a permit to dispose of special waste?

Some waste items require special disposal considerations to protect worker safety and reduce impacts to the environment.  Upon request from companies or the general public, the Department issues special waste permits for these items. 

What is considered special waste?

Special waste includes:

  • asbestos-containing material
  • metal-containing soils
  • hydrocarbon-contaminated soils
  • sharps, such as needles, broken glass, and other sharp objects capable of causing cuts or punctures
  • burnable waste from ships and aircraft from outside the province
  • oil-soaked materials
  • diseased potatoes from testing laboratories
  • empty ammonium nitrate fertilizer bags
  • screenings from a waste treatment plant
  • non-hazardous laboratory waste
  • creosoted or pressure-treated material
  • biomass wet with a solvent
  • absorbent materials and clothing contaminated with human or animal blood, tissue, or bodily fluids produced from
  • surgical medical or veterinary procedures in hospitals, medical centres or clinic, or veterinary hospitals or clinics
  • body-piercing procedures in tattoo or body-piercing establishments

How can I get a permit?

Please contact the Department of Communities, Land and Environment to request a Special Waste Disposal Permit.

What are the fees?

$25 is the fee for an individual permit.

$200 is the fee for an annual permit.

HST is not required.

Make cheques payable to the Minister of Finance.

How do I apply for a special waste disposal permit?

Contact the Environmental Land Management Section.  Permits are typically issued at the time of request. 

Additional Information


Service Location

Jones Building

back to top