Saut au contenu principal


Bookmark and Share print small medium large 


Watercourse, Wetland and Buffer Zone Activity Permit

When do I need a watercourse, wetland, and buffer zone activity permit?

Activities for which you need a permit include, but are not limited to:

  • dredging;
  • stream enhancement;
  • impoundment maintenance;
  • installing culverts/bridges;
  • temporary stream crossings (forestry);
  • constructing ponds;
  • surface water irrigation;
  • wharf/breakwater repair or construction;
  • slipway repair or construction;
  • tree cutting in a buffer zone; and
  • landscaping in a buffer zone.

What do I need to apply?

Your application must have sufficient information to allow the Department to evaluate the impact of your proposed activity on the environment. Please refer to the Watercourse, Wetland and Buffer Zone Activity Guidelines for more detailed instruction. You must include a map or diagram that clearly shows the location of the proposed activity.

Your application must also be signed by the registered property owner on whose land the activity takes place.

How long will it take to obtain a permit?

Please allow at least 4 weeks to process your request.

Incomplete applications cannot be processed and will be returned.

What is the cost of a permit?

Fees are outlined in the watercourse, wetland, and buffer zone activity permit application form.

Make cheques payable to the Minister of Finance.

Additional Information

Watercourse, Wetland and Buffer Zone Activity Guidelines:

General Planning Considerations and Guidelines
Guidelines for Specific Watercourse Alteration Types
Glossary & Working Group Membership
Appendix A - Habitats and Behavioural Patterns
Appendix B - Applicable Legislation
Appendix C - Fisheries Act
Appendix D - Fisheries and Oceans Policy for the Management of Fish Habitat
Appendix E - Application for a Watercourse, Wetland and Buffer Zone Activity Permit
Appendix F - Agricultural Irrigation Policy
Appendix G - Environmental Protection Act
Appendix H - Wetland Conservation Policy
Appendix I - Beaver Policy
Appendix J - Impoundment Guidelines


Watercourse, Wetland and Buffer Zone Activity Permit, Application for

Lieu du service

Access PEI Alberton
le mode carte

Access PEI Charlottetown
le mode carte

Jones Building
le mode carte

Access PEI Montague
le mode carte

Access PEI O'Leary
le mode carte

Access PEI Souris - Johnny Ross Young Services Centre
le mode carte

Access PEI Tignish
le mode carte

Access PEI Wellington
le mode carte

Western Forest District Office
le mode carte

French - back to top