Projects Under Environmental Review (Undertakings)The Environmental Protection Act defines an undertaking as including any construction, industry, operation or other project or any alteration or modification to an existing undertaking which will or may:
- cause the emission or discharge of any contaminant into the environment;
- have an effect on any unique, rare, or endangered feature of the environment;
- have a significant effect on the environment or necessitate further development which is likely to have a significant effect on the environment; or
- cause public concern because of its real or perceived effect or potential effect on the environment.
Every undertaking on PEI must be approved by the Department of Communities, Land and Environment prior to construction or operation of the undertaking.
In addition to undertakings, the Department also reviews projects that do not meet the definition of an undertaking under the Environmental Protection Act. These projects, “referrals”, are screened out of the requirements of an undertaking. A referral project is still reviewed by the Environmental Land Management Section, however it is typically subject to review by a smaller interdepartmental Technical Review Committee. When a project is screened out, it is still subject to all other statutory and regulatory requirements, as well as any commitments the proponent has made regarding specific environmental protection measures.
Projects Approved or Under Review in 2016 (Undertakings and Referrals*)
Approved/ Screened Out
|Redevelopment of existing aquaculture facility to rear Atlantic Salmon broodstock for egg production purposes||Aqua Bounty Canada Inc.||March 22, 2016||Pending|
|Operation of a Seafood Processing Facility||Red Chamber Inc.||March 18, 2016||Approved|
|Construction of Additional Liquid Manure Storage Tank||Shady Lane Farms Inc.||March 17, 2016||Approved|
|Construction of 69 kV Transmission Line and substation (Millvale)||Maritime Electric Company Ltd.||March 3, 2016||Screened Out|
|PEI-NB Cable Interconnection Upgrade Project||PEI Energy Corporation||Oct 1, 2015||Approved|
* As of April 2016, referral projects are also being listed in the Projects Approved or Under Review table above.