Quality Oyster Aquaculture ProgramThe purpose of the Quality Oyster Aquaculture Program is to provide an incentive for oyster aquaculture producers to increase production through the adoption of techniques or technologies used to produce quality oysters on their leases. The program will result in the stimulation of private sector investment and the development of new job opportunities in the aquaculture sector.
Any individual or legally incorporated company involved in oyster aquaculture in Prince Edward Island and holding the necessary permits, licenses and leases may apply. The program will not normally assist more than one applicant per lease site.
Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development may provide a financial contribution of 40% of eligible expenditures to a maximum assistance of $10,000 for project proposals over the life of the program.
Project proposals must fulfill the purpose of the program. Eligible expenditures may include specialized equipment and modifications, seed collection equipment, nursery equipment, growout equipment, specialized barges and harvesting equipment. Equipment to control predators or fouling species will also be eligible. Not eligible are real estate, vehicles (including recreational vehicles such as ATVs), boats, outboard motors, used equipment, seedstocks, consumables, salaries and wages. An applicant will normally be limited to one approved application per fiscal year.
Applications will be processed subject to the availability of funds and in the order of submission.
- The proposed project must clearly demonstrate an expansion of oyster production through the purchase of equipment or technologies that will assist the applicant to increase landings of quality oysters over time. The project may increase landings through improved efficiency, improved quality or expanded production.
- The applicant will be required to be in possession of a valid shellfish lease issued by Fisheries and Oceans Canada. Other authorizations may be required depending upon the nature of the proposed project.
- The applicant must present their plan for their farm expansion including their fouling control plans. Their proposal must fit the long-term plans for the development of their operation.
- The proposal must show sufficient technical, operational, and economic detail to allow satisfactory assessment by the Minister of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development.
- The proposal must be submitted in accordance with a prescribed application form complete with any required supporting documentation. Any assets purchased prior to the date of the department’s receipt of the application will not be eligible for assistance.
- If the proposal meets the satisfaction of the Minister, a letter of approval will be forwarded to the applicant. The department reserves the right to limit financial assistance.
- A project offer will be forwarded with the approval letter outlining terms and conditions of the assistance offer.
- In the event that a proposal received funding from other public sources, the funding from this program will be reduced such that the combination of all such funding sources will not exceed 75%.
- The applicant must agree to allow access to the operation by the minister or his representative for the purpose of monitoring the progress of the project.
- The project must be carried out prior to March 31 of the fiscal year of the application. The applicant must submit paid original invoices verified by cancelled cheques or other suitable documentation. Taxes paid on items assisted under this program are not eligible for assistance.
- In any matter of difference between the minister and the applicant through the life of the project, the minister's decision will be final.
The program will expire March 31, 2016. No claims for funding will be accepted with expenditures incurred after this date.
Quality Oyster Aquaculture Program Application
General Contact Information