BDP: Agri-Skills Subprogram
Name: Barry Thompson
To provide Prince Edward Island farmers and spouses with access to skills training which has the potential to increase farm profitability, and to enable farm families to pro-actively manage business risks, and be better positioned to adopt new technologies for the farm.
This program is co-administered by the Prince Edward Island Department of Agriculture and Fisheries and Holland College. The Prince Edward Island Department of Agriculture and Fisheries determines the eligibility of the applicant. Approved applicants are referred to Holland College for development of an individual learning plan, assessment if requested, case management, approval of training, and payments.
- Agricultural producers and/or spouses
1. Participants will receive support to undertake skills development and training in farm-related skill areas including, but not limited to:
- farming practices
- business management
- human resource management
- other skills which may have been identified in the Action Plan developed through the Canada - PEI Business Development Program: Self-Assessment.
2. Participants may request to undertake skills and needs assessments through Holland College Assessment & Counselling Services, or the Program Lead may recommend/require this activity to clients prior to approving funding.
3. Participants will work with a case worker to develop an Individual Learning Plan (defined as the best plan for training to meet the goals of the participant).
Assistance will be provided as follows:
- Up to $8,000 per participant and up to $16,000 per farm entity is available for farm-related skills training over the life of the program. The farm entity may have two or more applicants.
- Skills training with total costs that are less than $200 are not eligible for assistance.
- Career assessment, if requested, and ongoing case management is provided at no cost to participants.
APPLICATION AND APPROVAL PROCESS
Applicants must submit a completed application form to the Prince Edward Island Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for determination of their eligibility. Applicants may be required to provide documentation to verify gross farm sales. Applicants receive a letter stating whether or not they are eligible for the Program.
Submit completed and signed applications to:
PEI Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
11 Kent Street, PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Attention: Colleen Younie
Approved applicants are referred to Holland College. Staff at Holland College contact applicants to set up an appointment to discuss their proposed learning goals/activities, and to develop an Individual Learning Plan.
All learning activities must be pre-approved by Holland College. Note: learning activities are approved on a first-come, first-served basis, until the annual budget is committed.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Expenses incurred prior to application approval are not eligible for assistance under this program.
- Instructors providing skills training funded by this program must meet eligibility criteria as determined by Holland College.
- Skills training that is provided by instructors who also sell services in this skills area are required to provide verification that payment is for training and is not a service subsidy. The Prince Edward Island Department of Agriculture and Fisheries and Holland College reserve the right to reject funding for any training done by service providers where there is reasonable doubt that skill development will occur.
- Operational guidelines for this program are in a separate document. They provide additional detail and are the official guidelines for the program.
- Recipients of funding under this Program are consenting to the public release of their name, the amount of funding received, and the general nature of the project.
This program is effective April 1, 2013 and will terminate on March 31, 2018.
This program may be altered or discontinued without notice by the Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries.
This program is co-administered by the Prince Edward Island Department of Agriculture and Fisheries and Holland College.
Agriculture Information Desk
PEI Department of Agriculture and Forestry
Business Development Program: Agri-Skills - Application Form