Chief Mental Health and Addictions Office
Who is the Chief Mental Health and Addictions Officer?Dr. Rhonda Matters is Prince Edward Island’s first Chief Mental Health and Addictions Officer. She has ultimate responsibility for mental health and addictions policy and planning with a focus on improving services offered across all provincial government departments. She and her staff work with all departments and community partners, as well as Islanders with personal experiences, to develop a long-term vision and strategy for the province.
Why was the Chief Mental Health and Addictions Office (CMHAO) created?The CMHAO was created in November 2013 in response to the 2013 MRSB Review of Services and Supports [PDF - 1 Mb].
What does the CMHAO do for Islanders?
- Establish goals for supporting and promoting the mental health of Islanders and reduce gambling and substance abuse
- Create a long-term collaborative plan for mental health and addictions from prevention to treatment
- Pursue policies that support promotion, prevention, early intervention, treatment and recovery
- Increase public awareness of mental health and addictions issues
- Work to eliminate stigma and discrimination around mental health and addictions
- Collect and assess data on mental health and addictions in the province
- Maintain the provincial Gambling Helpline
Dr. Matters also receives advice from the Provincial Mental Health and Addictions Advisory Council. The Council is client-centered and includes experienced representatives from community organizations, health, mental health, education and justice sectors, as well as other stakeholders.
Where can I find more information about mental health and addictions?News Releases:
- Minister releases details of new and expanded mental health and addictions services for Island youth [October 3, 2014]
Reports and Reviews:
- 2015 Wellness Strategy
- 2014 CSI Findings regarding Psychiatry and Hillsborough Hospital [PDF - 1 Mb]
- 2013 MRSB Review of Services and Supports [PDF - 1 Mb]
- 2013 Report on Prescription Drug Abuse [PDF - 262 Kb]
- 2013 Report on Student Drug Use [PDF - 1.3 Mb]
- 2013 Report on Suicide and Mental Health [PDF - 858 Kb]
- 2012 Findings of the Child and Youth Commissioner [PDF - 2.3 Mb]
- 2009 Findings of the Child Protection Act Review [PDF - 109 Kb]
- 2008 Provincial Gaming Strategy [PDF - 268 Kb]
- Strategy for Mental Health Canada [external link to Mental Health Commission of Canada]
- First Do No Harm - Strategy on Prescription Drug Abuse [PDF - 1 Mb]
How can I contact CMHAO?Chief Mental Health and Addictions Office
Telephone: (902) 368-5057
Fax: (902) 620-3081