Birth CertificatesEffective December 1, 2011, all passport applications for children under 16 years of age must be accompanied by a detailed birth certificate containing the name of parent(s).
Within 30 days of the birth of a child in PEI, the birth must be registered with Vital Statistics. This is usually done in the hospital after the baby is born.
In order to obtain an birth certificate, you must complete an application form and provide the following information:
- Surname (last name, given maiden name if certificate is for a married woman)
- All given name(s)
- Gender: male or female
- Date of Birth: (written out as month, day, year)
- Place of birth (city, town, village and province)
- Surname of Father, if applicable*
- All given name(s) of Father
- Surname of Mother (maiden name)
- All given name(s) of Mother
- Parents' places of birth
This information must be provided exactly as it is recorded on the birth registration or the certificate will not be issued.
Other required information includes:
- Name, address and telephone number of applicant must be provided.
- Relationship to person named on certificate and reason for requesting a certificate.
- Method of payment: money order, debit card, visa (expiry date)
- Photo ID must accompany an application for a certificate.
Who can apply for a birth certificate?
The following may apply for a birth certificate:
- The person named on the certificate
- A parent whose name appears on the registration from which the certificate is to be issued.
- A person authorized, in writing of the person named on the certificate, or the parents of the person named on the certificate.
- A court order
- A lawyer acting for the person, or parents named on the certificate (must have written authorization or proof of retainer).
Note: Long form birth certificates can only be issued to the person named on the certificate or to the parents of that person.
Birth Certificate Application form
Applications for birth certificates can also be picked up from various Access PEI sites across the province.
Where can I find out what the fees are for birth certificates?
The following is the current fee schedule to obtain birth certificates. This schedule is subject to change. Rush service - 48 hour - $25.00 (does not include cost of certificate or courier fee.
|Birth Certificate - Standard||$25.00|
|Birth Certificate - Long Form (recommended for travel with children)||$35.00|
|Late Registration of Birth (one year after date of birth)||$10.00|
|Amendment to a Given Name (amendment to Registration)||$25.00|
|Registering of a Change of Name||$191.05|
|Director of Vital Statistics:
|Laura Lee Noonan
126 Douses Road, Montague, PE, C0A 1R0