Population Health Assessment and SurveillancePopulation Health Assessment and Surveillance provides advice and expertise to the Chief Public Health Office, Deputy Minister, and Minister on key health issues in PEI.
The unit is responsible for monitoring and reporting on health status and health trends in the province. The unit supports evidence-based decision making and promotes continuous improvement by generating, analyzing and interpreting information. The scope of the program and services within the section are: production of technical population health reports, interpretation and analysis of national reports to make information relevant to PEI surveillance of communicable and non-communicable diseases, population research, development of population health databases, and evaluation of health initiatives.
- Bryanton J, Gareri J, Boswall D, McCarthy MJ, Fraser B, Walsh D, Freeman B, Koren G, Bigsby K (2014) Incidence of prenatal alcohol exposure in Prince Edward Island: a population-based descriptive study. CMAJ Open 2(2):E121-126. Doi:10.9778/cmajo.20140011
- Gaudreau K, Stryhn H, Sanford C, Cheverie C, Conklin J, Hansen J, Zelman M, McClure C (2014) Use of emergency departments and primary care visits for asthma related conditions in the 3 years following an asthma education program. J Asthma 51(3), 288-293.
- Gaudreau K, Sanford CJ, Cheverie C, McClure C (2013) The effect of a smoking ban on hospitalization rates for cardiovascular and respiratory conditions in Prince Edward Island, Canada. PLoS ONE 8(3): e56102. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0056102
- McClure C, MacSwain M, Morrison H, Sanford C (2015) Human papillomavirus vaccine uptake in boys and girls in a school-based vaccine delivery program in Prince Edward Island, Canada. Vaccine 33, no. 15 (April 8, 2015): 1786-90, diuL10.1016/j.vaccine.2015.02.047.
- Sabapathy D, Strong D, Myers R, Li B, Quan H. Pneumococcal vaccination of the elderly during visits to acute care providers: who are vaccinated? Prev Med. 2014 May;62:155–60.
- Sanford C, Morrison H, Neale R, Sweet L (2012) Clostridium perfringens outbreak associated with roast beef supper fundraising event. Env Health Rev 55:103-106, 10.5864/d2012-014.
- Sanford C, Langley J M, Halperin S A, Zelman M (2015) A universal infant rotavirus vaccine program in two delivery models: Effectiveness and adverse events following immunization. Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics 0, no.ja (March 6, 2015): 00-00, doi: 10.1080/21645515.2015.1012028
- Zelman M, Sanford C, Neatby A, Halperin BA, MacDougall D, Rowswell C, et al. Implementation of a universal rotavirus vaccination program: comparison of two delivery systems. BMC Public Health. 2014 Sep 2;14(1):908.
- Ogden, NH, Koffi, JK, Lindsay, LR, Fleming, S, Mombourquette, DC, Sanford, C, Badcock, J, Gad, RR, Jain-Shehan, N, Moore, S, Russell, C, Hobbs, L, Baydack, R, Graham-Derham, S, Lachance, L, Simmonds, K, Scott, AN. (2015). Surveillance for Lyme Disease in Canada, 2009 to 2012. Canada Communicable Disease Report CCDR 41-06, June 4, 2015.
Prince Edward Island Asthma Trends 2001-2011
Prince Edward Island COPD Trends 2001-2011
Chief Public Health Officer's Report and Health Trends 2014 en français
Chief Public Health Officer's Report and Health Trends 2014 Technical Appendix
Suicide and Mental Health in Prince Edward Island 2002-2011
Prince Edward Island Student Drug Use Report 2004-2011
Prince Edward Island Diabetes Trends 2000-2009
Prince Edward Island Hypertension Trends 2000-2009
Prince Edward Island Cancer Trends 1980-2009
Promote Prevent Protect - PEI CPHO's Report and Health Trends 2012 en français
Prince Edward Island Asthma Trends 2000-2008
Prince Edward Island COPD Trends 2000-2008
Prince Edward Island Communicable Disease Annual Report 2009
Prince Edward Island Health Trends 2010
Prince Edward Island Diabetes Trends 2000-2006
Cancer Trends in PEI - 1980-2006
PEI Student Drug Survey 2007 - Highlights Report en français
Atlantic Technical Report - Student Drug Survey 2007
Student Drug Use Survey en français
Population Health Assessment and Surveillance
Chief Public Health Office
Department of Health and Wellness
16 Fitzroy Street, PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8