Gambling Support Information
Where can I get information about gambling?
Call the PEI Gambling Support line toll-free at 1-855-255-4255 for free confidential and dedicated telephone service. The phone line is available to all Islanders 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There is no time limit on calls.
You can call the support line if you want to talk about any concerns related to your gambling or someone you care about who is gambling.
How much does the support line service cost?
The counseling service offered through the help line is free.
What will callers receive?
Callers will receive a variety of supportive services such as information about in-person counselling through Addiction Services, Gamblers Anonymous meetings, SMART Recovery meetings, and other resources. Callers may also choose to be referred to Addiction Services for counselling.
What is gambling?Gambling involves the practice of risking something of value (money, valuables) on a game of chance. There are many forms of gambling:
- Video Lottery Terminals (VLT's) / slot machines
- Betting on sporting events i.e. horse racing, hockey, football
- Poker, Blackjack
- Lottery tickets / scratch tickets
Many of these activities can now be played online as well.
What is problem gambling?Gambling is a problem when it:
- Gets in the way of work, school or other activities
- Harms your mental or physical health
- Hurts you financially
- Causes problems with your family or friends
How can I tell if I have a gambling problem?Take the Self Assessment if you have concerns about your gambling.
Where can I find more information about problem gambling?[All links are to external websites]
- Problem Gambling Institute of Ontario - Center for Addiction and Mental Health
- International Centre for Youth Gambling Problems and High Risk Behaviours - McGill University
- Know the Score 2 - An interactive problem gambling awareness program for college and university students
- Stop the Chase - Responsible Gambling Council website highlights the key sign of a gambling problem: chasing losses. For concerned family members and friends and those concerned about their own gambling.
- British Columbia Responsible & Problem Gambling Program
- New York Council on Problem Gambling
Jill Sabean (Gambling Addictions Specialist)
If you have questions about problem gambling, gambling services, or the support line, contact:
Telephone: (902) 368-5293 or (902) 368-5057
Fax: (902) 620-3081
The Gambling Addiction Specialist is also available to provide presentations to your work sites or community groups. Call or email to arrange a time that is convenient for you.