Highway Safety Division
Graduated Driver Licensing ProgramIn Prince Edward Island licenses for new drivers are administered through the Graduated Driver Licensing Program (GDL), a system of licensing that gives beginners the opportunity to gradually move into higher risk driving situations after gaining experience in lower risk situations.
Beginner drivers 16 years of age or older may apply for an Instruction Driver's Permit. This permit allows for the supervised operation of a motor vehicle for the purpose of driving instruction. This license is valid for two years from date of issue.
All individuals who receive their Instruction Permit are required to wait 365, or 275 days if enrolled in a certified Driver Education Program, before they are eligible for a road test.
Individuals 17 years old, or 16 years plus 275 days if a certified Driver Education Course has been completed, are eligible for a standard class 5 Driver's License.
Here is a list of updates on the Graduated Driver Licensing Program for 2007. These links are regularly updated.
- What is the Graduated Driver Licensing Program? (Updated October 26, 2012)
- Phase 1, Graduated Driver Licensing Program (February 05, 2007)
- Stage 1, Learner Decal Sample (April 01, 2007)
- Stage 1, Motorcycle Learner Decal Sample (April 01, 2007)
- Stage 2, Graduated Decal Sample (April 01, 2007)
- Application for Exemption from Night-Time Driving Restriction Form (April 01, 2007)
- Graduated Driver Licensing Program - Frequently Asked Questions (October 26, 2012)
- Steps in Obtaining a Voluntary ID (November 2, 2012)
If you have any further questions regarding the Graduated Driver Licensing Program or any other Highway Safety related question, please contact us at:
Email: Graduated Driver Licensing Program
For more information on the Graduated Driver Licensing Program, see Graduated Driver Licensing Regulations.
Application for Exemption from Night-Time Driving Restriction Form
Demande d'exemption à l'interdiction de conduire la nuit
Driver License or Voluntary ID Application Form
Demande de permis de conduire ou d'identification volontaire
General Contact Information