Skip to Main Content

Highway Safety Division

print small medium large 


Out-of-Province Drivers' License

If your original driver’s license is from Canada, United States, Austria, Germany, the United Kingdom (including Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man), Australia, France, South Korea, Japan, Switzerland or Taiwan, you may get a Prince Edward Island driver’s license at any Access PEI location without a written knowledge exam and driving test. This only applies to driver licenses for passenger vehicles and motorcycles.

You must pass a vision test, pay the appropriate fees and provide the required documents in person.

You may drive in PEI with a valid driver's license from your home jurisdiction and/or (if required) an International Driver's Permit for a period of four months from the time you become a resident. An International Driver`s Permit must accompany a foreign license if the foreign license is not in English or French.

Those attending university or college full-time are not required to exchange their Out of Province driver`s license and may drive with their foreign license as long as it is valid and accompanied by an International Driver's Permit, if required.

Any person who is not a permanent resident, as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) and is employed in this province in the agricultural or fishing industry pursuant to a Guest Worker Program administered by the Government of Canada and holds a valid foreign driver`s license equal to a PEI Class 5 and an International Driver`s Permit may operate a vehicle in this province that requires a Class 5 driver’s license for a period of not more than eight months in any one year.

Required documents to receive a PEI driver license

  • A valid photo driver's license from your home jurisdiction.
  • Two documents that show your current address in Prince Edward Island such as a phone bill, electric bill, personal cheque, mail from federal or provincial government, rental agreement, mortgage papers, letter from your employer or any other address-related document that maybe approved.
  • If required, a certified translation of your driver's license or a translation done by the PEI Newcomer's Association.
  • Immigration documents that show your legal status and length of stay in Canada.

Not from one of the countries listed above?

If your original driver’s license is not from one the countries listed above, you must pass a vision test, complete a written knowledge test on the rules of the road and successfully complete a driving test.

Appointments for driving tests can be arranged with any Access PEI office listed below. You will need to bring your own vehicle. Once you pass the driving test, provide the required documents (listed above) and pay the appropriate fees, you will receive a PEI Driver’s License.

The Driver's Handbook is available from any Access PEI location or online in English, French, Arabic and Chinese Simplified (Mandarin) from the Prince Edward Island Association for Newcomers.

General Contact Information


Service Location

Access PEI Montague


Access PEI Summerside

Access PEI Wellington

back to top