Gaudet Lodge is a two and one half storey house with Cottage and Queen Anne Revival style elements. It is located in the village of Tignish, PEI on a spacious treed lot. The registration includes the footprint of the building.
Why is this place important?
The building is significant because of its association with the famous Island architect, William Critchlow Harris (1854-1913). It is one of the few surviving residences designed by Harris. This house was built sometime after the 1896 Great Fire of Tignish for Senator and Dr. Patrick Charles Murphy. In 1927, it was the home of Joseph A. Bernard, the first Acadian Lt. Governor of PEI (1945-1950). By the late 1950s, it was owned by Camille Gaudet and became a rooming house and restaurant. Today, it remains remarkably intact except for the addition of an annex behind the house which was added in 1976-77.
Source: PEI Heritage Advisory Committee Files
The heritage value of Gaudet's Lodge is shown in the following Cottage Style elements:
- the hipped gable roof with central chimney
- the large dormers on the side elevations
- the semi-enclosed verandah on the front elevation
- the smaller verandah and porch on the side elevation
- the size, style, and placement of the windows and doors
- the decorative bargeboards
- the alternating shingle shapes between the various storeys (a Queen Anne Revival element)