The rectangular building that stands on the southeast corner of Water and Granville Streets was once the community's railway station. Built in 1927, it was situated adjacent to the railway tracks that were laid through the town in the 1870s. The structure replaced an earlier one that was no longer suitable. The CNR withdrew its rail service from PEI in 1989 and the building was closed. In the 1990s the local Rotary Club led a successful campaign to open the building as the town's public library. The tell-tale hipped roof, wide eaves, and large brackets betray the building's original purpose. The registration includes the building and its lot.