The J. Angus MacLean Building was built in 1872 as the Union Bank Building. It is a three storey brick structure in the Italianate style with mansard roof. It was renamed in honour of former Premier J. Angus MacLean (1914-2000) in October 2002. It is prominently situated on historic Great George Street near Queen's Square in the centre of Charlottetown across from the Provincial Legislature. The designation includes the footprint of the building.