Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get the heritage of a place recognized?
- Check to see that it is not already listed on the PEI Register of Heritage Places or the Canadian Register of Historic Places, by searching www.peihistoricplaces.ca or www.historicplaces.ca . Call the registrar to confirm at (902) 368-5940. If it hasn't been recognized, you must contact the appropriate level of government. If the place is in Charlottetown, call (902) 629-4158. If it is in Summerside, call (902) 432-1332.
- Do I have to pay a fee to have a heritage place recognized?
- No. There are no fees charged for applying to have a heritage place recognized.
- What funding is available to support heritage properties?
- In order to be eligible to apply for any heritage funding, the property must be recognized by an authority such as the Province or a municipality with a heritage bylaw. It must also be listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places. Currently, Charlottetown has a funding program for its designated properties, while the Department of Education, Early Learning and Culture has a grant program for provincially designated places. For more information, see "Funding for Heritage Places" in the drop down menu under "Protect".
- I want a plaque for my heritage property, how do I get one?
- Provincially designated heritage places are eligible to receive a provincial heritage plaque. If the property is located in Charlottetown or Summerside, they have separate heritage recognition programs.