Healthy Child Development
Positive Parenting CampaignBackground
The Positive Parenting campaign has been developed by the Parent Support Network of the Prince Edward Island Children’s Secretariat to support key areas of action in the Healthy Child Development Strategy.
The Healthy Child Development Strategy provides direction for Islanders to work together to improve outcomes for children. The strategy is targeted to children from the prenatal period to early school years. The goals of the strategy are that all Island children will:
• be safe and secure
• enjoy good health
• be successful at learning
• benefit from social belonging and responsibility
The PEI Healthy Child Development Strategy was launched in 2000 and continues to be strengthened through partnerships among Island families, communities, government, business, and other sectors.
Positive Parenting Campaign Objective
• To raise awareness and understanding of the key role parents play in the positive growth and development of children from the prenatal stage, early years and onward.
• To direct parents to good information and social supports to assist them in their positive parenting role.
• To encourage all Islanders - parents, grandparents, care givers, communities, opinion leaders and others - to think about their own personal responsibility in contributing to positive health outcomes for Island children.
Who is behind this campaign?
The Parent Support Group.
Who is funding the campaign?
The campaign is being funding by Partnerships for Children of the Province of Prince Edward Island and the National Crime Prevention Fund of the Government of Canada.
When will the ads run?
The ad launch included Prince Edward Island newspapers, radio stations and the Island TV Guide. Ads ran in November 2006 for six weeks. The timing of the campaign was in line with National Child Day on November 20, 2006.