29 September 2015 | Download original letter
Honourable Richard Brown
Minister of Workforce and Advanced Learning
Government of Prince Edward Island
Dear Minister Brown,
I have been honoured to welcome you to your new role as Minister of Workforce and Advanced Learning and as a member of our Cabinet team, and for the collaborative work we have begun in the past few months. Together, we will work to fulfill the trust that Islanders have placed in us to lead with integrity and purpose, as we build a prosperous, caring and engaged society for the people of Prince Edward Island. We have a clear and coherent plan to enhance PEl's quality of life, to advance our economic growth, and to build strong community across our Island, as outlined in the Speech from the Throne, and your Department will play an important part in achieving those goals.
As a Government, we are committed to openness and transparency, and to the highest standards of ethical conduct in our decision-making and governance processes. We will be accountable for our actions, and we will increase opportunities for Islanders to engage in shaping our future path and in carrying out the work of Government. You and your colleagues play a crucial role in fulfilling those commitments.
I look to you to ensure adherence to the strengthened measures that are being put in place for expense disclosure by Ministers and senior officials; to be frugal in conducting your duties; to deal with citizens and clients in a fair, transparent and balanced way; and to ensure open, merit-based processes for hiring and board appointments within your area of responsibility.
I also encourage you to commit to making sure that Prince Edward Island Government services can be easily accessed by our citizens, community groups and businesses. As we work internally and with regional governments to reduce unnecessary regulation and improve service delivery, I welcome your ideas and leadership.
Our work over the coming term of office will be shaped by our commitments to the people of Prince Edward Island as set out in our campaign document, Let's Work Together! We have set out a plan to build a prosperous economy, achieving growth above national averages, and develop a stronger society through the three integrated priorities of people, prosperity and engagement. Working across Cabinet, Government and community, we will strive to put in place the best supports for all Prince Edward Island residents, to allow them to meet challenges and to flourish as individuals and families. We will create more opportunities for business, trade and jobs. And we will strive to put Prince Edward Island on the map as an innovative leader.
I look to you to help our Government achieve these goals by taking action to build expanded opportunities for learning and work on PEl, to build our population and provide growing employment possibilities for those on or coming to Prince Edward Island. The Department of Workforce and Advanced learning is a new department and, working with your Deputy Minister, your first aim is to build a strong and cohesive effort that engages Islanders to meet the education and skills development challenge so that there is individual and collective success in our efforts to improve productivity and competitiveness.
- Build a comprehensive population and workforce strategy with an objective of growth and opportunity around key economic sectors on PEl and contributing to achieving GDP growth above the national average;
- In partnership with the Ministers of Economic Development and Tourism and Agriculture and Fisheries, drive the overall plan for economic prosperity, including growth in knowledge-based industries, fostering a culture of entrepreneurship, contributing to the PEl sales effort, and recruiting and retaining the population needed to meet these goals;
- Working with all parts of Government, achieve higher levels of employment, including specific strategies for young people in PEl;
- Institute policies and improved efforts on migration, especially the repatriation of Islanders, and immigration, including increased retention;
- Establish more detailed labour market projections for PEl that builds better alignment between job opportunities and education and training programs;
- Develop long-term plans for higher education to increase opportunities for young Islanders; and
- Contribute to the Poverty Reduction Strategy in concert with your colleagues in Family and Human Services; Justice and Public Safety; and Education, Early Learning and Culture.
In this context, I ask to you place particular priority on the following areas:
All of this work can and will only be accomplished through active engagement with Government and community partners. To this end, I expect you to build positive and constructive relations with leaders in industry, higher education and labour, as well as with other levels of Government.
I also look to you to develop and maintain effective, trusting relationships with your Deputy Minister and departmental officials. Our dedicated and professional public service is vital to the attainment of our goals as a Government, including careful, prudent management to achieve our commitment of a balanced budget in 2016-17. Your Deputy Minister is your primary source of support in achieving your responsibilities as outlined above. Within this context, your Deputy Minister is ultimately accountable to me, through the Clerk, for supporting you in a manner consistent with the duly- approved policies of Government, and the overall agenda and direction of Government. I ask you to bear these dual accountabilities in mind as you continue to develop your working relationship with your Deputy.
These are exciting times for Prince Edward Island. I am confident that, working together, we will make great strides to fulfill the potential and opportunities of our Province and our residents and ensure that we can face the future strong, proud and optimistic.