April 6, 2005
For immediate release
Minister Calls for Nominations for 2005 Environmental Awards
Environment, Energy & Forestry
Minister Ballem has called for nominations for the 2005 Prince Edward Island Environmental Awards to be presented during Environment Week in June.
“We are very fortunate in Prince Edward Island to have many citizens, of all ages and from all walks of life, who work tirelessly to protect and enhance our environment – whether through individual efforts, working with community groups, or adopting environmentally-friendly business practices,” said Minister Ballem. “The Environmental Awards provide an opportunity to give some well-deserved recognition to these citizens for the tremendous contribution they make to our quality of life in Prince Edward Island. I encourage Islanders to take the time to nominate a deserving citizen in their community.”
Environmental Awards are presented in five categories:
• Individual Citizen recognizes exemplary efforts by Island citizens to protect, preserve or enhance the environment;
• Business or Government Agency recognizes organizations that provide services, products or labour that have low environmental impact and act as a model for sustainable economic activity;
• Citizen Group or Organization recognizes grassroots groups that make a special commitment to PEI’s environment;
• Education recognizes outstanding environmental efforts by groups or individuals in the areas of academia or public education; and,
• Youth recognizes individuals under the age of 25 who have made an outstanding contribution to a healthy environment.
Last year’s recipients, in the five categories respectively, were David Latimer, Superior Sanitation Ltd., Winter River Environmental Committee Inc., Grand Tracadie Elementary School, and Tara Campbell.
The 2005 Prince Edward Island Environmental Awards will be presented during Environment Week in June. The deadline for nominations is May 1, 2005. Nominations will be assessed by a selection committee comprised of members of the Minister’s Environmental Advisory Council.
Nomination forms are available online at www.gov.pe.ca/go/award, or by calling the Department of Environment, Energy and Forestry at (902) 368-5000.