aussi disponible en français
July 22, 2010
For immediate release
Minister Announces New Physicians
Health and Wellness
“We are extremely pleased to welcome seven new physicians to Prince Edward Island, three of whom will practice Family Medicine, three in Radiology and one in Psychiatry,” said Minister Bertram. “Each of these individuals brings with them a tremendous skill set and will be a wonderful asset to our One Island Health System.”
Dr. David Morgan has accepted a position in Souris for a two-year period beginning on August 16, 2010, and will be working from the Souris Family Health Centre. Dr. Morgan worked in the province previously, providing both locum and full-time services in O’Leary and Alberton.
Dr. Paul Jewers has accepted a position in Hunter River beginning on September 2, 2010, and will be working from the Central Queens Family Health Centre. Dr. Jewers is relocating from Saint John, New Brunswick.
Dr. Paul Corney has accepted a position in Charlottetown beginning on July 15, 2010, and will be working from the Polyclinic. Dr. Corney is an Islander who completed his residency training through Dalhousie University.
Supporting the Provincial Diagnostic Imaging service in the province, the following physicians have accepted positions in Radiology: Dr. Claude Helpert, beginning on November 1, 2010; Dr. Siddharth Chibber, beginning on September 2, 2010; and Dr. Kiat Tan, beginning October 1, 2010.
Dr. Oemola Oladejo has accepted a position in Psychiatry providing provincial mental health services. It is anticipated he will begin practice in September 2010.
“Recruiting for the province has been successful in the past year,” said Minister Bertram. “We have seen a good number of physicians begin practice in the province in a wide range of medical sectors.”
Since May 2009, the Recruitment and Retention Secretariat has successfully recruited 21 physicians to Prince Edward Island. In addition to the 7 announced today, 14 additional physicians have already begun practice in the province. They are as follows:
• Dr. Larry Pan - Radiation Oncology - Queen Elizabeth Hospital
• Dr. Anne Drysdale - Ophthalmology - Charlottetown
• Dr. Denise Lea - Addictions - Mount Herbert Addictions Facility
• Dr. Li Hove - Family Medicine - Alberton
• Dr. Shahaz Quershi - Emergency Medicine - Summerside
• Dr. Mary White - Radiology - Queen Elizabeth Hospital
• Dr. Santhosh Lakshmi - Internal Medicine - Summerside
• Dr. Syed Naqvi - Family Medicine - Alberton
• Dr. Bridget Freeman - Pediatrics - Summerside
• Dr. Babar Hameed - Family Medicine - O’Leary
• Dr. Derek Chaudhary - Nephrology - Charlottetown
• Dr. Adnan Bajelan - Family Medicine - O’Leary
• Dr. Derek Karanwal - Radiology - Queen Elizabeth Hospital
• Dr. Barry Nuchterlein - Anesthesia - Queen Elizabeth Hospital
The Department of Health and Wellness anticipates filling positions over the next 3 months in the following areas: Hematopathology, Family Medicine, Surgery and Physical Medicine.
The Province’s Health Recruitment and Retention Secretariat provides health human resource planning and undertakes recruitment and retention efforts to meet the current and future needs for physicians, nurses and allied health professionals. For more information on the Secretariat, visit www.healthjobspei.ca.