The Land Tenure Question MonumentLocated at the Brighton Compound. Land dominated Island politics for over a century. In 1767, the British government granted the Island into 67 lots to 100 proprietors. Over time, leasehold tenures disappeared with the sale of land and estates to tenants and the government. This was required by law after 1875. The Brighton Powder Magazine was built in 1866, when troops were stationed here to quash the Tenant's League.
(At the Brighton Compound, Brighton Road)
[Turn Off Map]