East Point LighthouseBuilt in 1867, located near the south shore of point on Prince Edward Island.
This lighthouse is one of the Island's last manned lighthouses and is one of the most popular sights on the Island. It is also one of the busiest aids to navigation stations for both deep sea traffic and the inshore and offshore fishery.
In East Point lighthouse the stairs wind up to the top of the white octagonal tower. The light station consists of a lighthouse, cottage, fog alarm, radio, beacon station, and an oil shed. In 1885, an addition was built to the fog alarm.
The light was put in operation during the winter months between 1940 to 1945 as an aid to the local Flying Schools. In 1965, there was a construction of a dwelling. It is presently running by means of electricity.
Height in meters above ground: 19.5
(Turn off King's Byway, Route 16 onto the paved road marked East Point Light. It's a short drive out to the point and at the end is a good parking lot. 20 minutes east of Souris.)
[Turn Off Map]
For More Information
Telephone: (902) 357-2106
Hours: Guided tours June 16 to August 30