West Point LighthouseEstablished in 1875, located on the western entrance to the Northumberland Strait on the Prince Edward Island shore. It is situated behind dunes on a beach, readily accessible by road.
This lighthouse was built for the federal Department of Marine. The tower itself is 57 feet and 6 inches tapering from 29 feet square at the base 10-12 feet square at the platform. With a total height of 67 feet and 8 inches from ground to vane, it is the tallest square design on the Island. There are straight flights of stairs along the east wall connecting each floor.
From 1942 to 1945, the light was kept on over the winters as a guide for those training at the aviation school.
On May 29, 1963, the light was converted to automatic. A major improvement was made in 1985. They converted the lighthouse into a gift shop and a full service restaurant that offers up lobster suppers and chowder which is a popularity there. Accommodations are also offered to tourists both in the lighthouse and in the new addition.
Only five Prince Edward Island lighthouses pre-date this lighthouse. Its position indicates its importance for vessels entering or leaving the Northumberland Strait's western entrance. It has a strong symbolic value as an important local historic site and it is an increasingly major tourist attraction.
(Route 14 in Cedar Dunes Provincial Park)
[Turn Off Map]
For More Information
Telephone: (902) 859-3605
Website: West Point Lighthouse Website
Hours: May 26 to September 30 daily