Blockhouse Point LighthouseEstablished in 1851, located on the west side of the entrance to Charlottetown Harbour.
This lighthouse is a century old and basically as it was when built. It is the second oldest lighthouse on the shores of Prince Edward Island. The structure has not been restored. It consists of a square wooden tower tapered, with attached two-storey dwelling. Overall height base to vane is 42 feet and is 56 feet above high water. The tower itself is 40 feet in height, surmounted by an octagonal lantern on a warehouse roof. The ground floor of the dwelling was designed with a kitchen, parlour, and two bedrooms, and on the first floor with four more bedrooms and a bathroom. It became automated on July 25, 1962.
Besides serving its important function as a navigational aid on the approach to the harbour, this old lighthouse complements nicely the historical setting of old Charlottetown.
To find this lighthouse, from Charlottetown travel west on the Trans Canada Route 1 to Cornwall. Turn onto Route 19, Blue Heron Drive and follow it around past Rocky Point. Turn off towards Fort Amherst/Port La Joye National Historic Site and follow the road right to the end, where you will end up in the lighthouse yard. An excellent vantage point for this light is from the park mentioned above. At the lower corner of the park the light is visible and nicely framed by woods and bushes, begging to be photographed.
[Turn Off Map]