Skip to Main Content
print small medium large 


Public Trustee

The Public Trustee is a person appointed by the provincial government to help people who are unable to look after their own financial affairs. The Public Trustee gets involved when you have no trusted family or friends who can do this for you. For example, if you have no trusted family or friends living in PEI.

What's the difference between a power of attorney and the Public Trustee?

You give a power of attorney to someone you trust to look after your affairs. You may also give a power of attorney to the Public Trustee if you have no other person to act on your behalf. Otherwise, the Public Trustee usually steps in only after you have been declared incompetent, if you made no arrangements about your financial affairs, or if there are concerns about how your power of attorney is being used. The Public Trustee has the power to take over administration of your finances if your attorney has not been acting in your best interest.

What's the difference between the Public Trustee and the Public Guardian?

The Public Trustee helps you if, for any reason, you are not able to look after your financial affairs. A guardian, including the Public Guardian, is appointed by the court when you are incapable of making day-to-day decisions about your life.

Service Location

Shaw Building

back to top