Skip to Main Content
print small medium large 


Maintenance Enforcement Program

The Maintenance Enforcement Program (MEP) is authorized by the PEI Maintenance Enforcement Act to administer and enforce child and spousal support obligations under the terms of a court order or separation agreement.  Once an order or separation agreement has been registered with the MEP, support payments that would normally remit directly to the person receiving the support payments must be sent to the Program.


The Prince Edward Island Maintenance Enforcement Program is located within the Honourable C.R. McQuaid Family Law Centre, 1 Harbourside Access Road, PO Box 2290, Charlottetown, PE C1A 8C1. Residents of Prince County may also make their support payments at the Summerside Court House, 108 Central Street in Summerside.

Hours of operation are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. during summer and from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. during the winter.

How do I register?

Either the payor or payee can register a support order or separation agreement.

To register, you must send or bring the following documents to the MEP:

  • A completed MEP Registration Form.  Registration forms are available from the MEP or your lawyer.
  • A copy of your current support order or separation agreement.

If you are a payee, once the file is registered with MEP, you will be required to fill out an affidavit of arrears, a sworn document that reflects payments past due.

When you register as a payee, you will agree that all payments will be processed through the MEP and you will not try to collect the support yourself, through a lawyer or another agency.  If payments are not made regularly, the MEP will take the enforcement action to collect the support obligations.

How are funds administered?

The MEP processes the payment, maintains an accounting record of the payments and forwards the payment to the payee.  MEP is a neutral program and does not represent either the payor or the payee.

Payment options include:
  • Internet Banking
  • Payroll Deduction
  • Money Orders/Bank Draft
  • Debit or Cash Payment
  • MEP does not accept personal cheques

The accounting services offered by the MEP are free to the payee and payor.  If payments are in default, a deterent charge is payable by the payor.  If enforcement is necessary, service fees are charged to the payor to offset the costs of enforcement.

Interactive Voice Response (IVR) 24/7 Toll Free service

The MEP has a 24-hour toll-free service.  This line is available seven days a week to provide information about your support payments and enforcement actions on your file.  Our computer is updated daily and will give you the most current information available.

Have your PEI MEP file number and PIN number ready when you call.
    Charlottetown Clients call

    All other PEI clients outside the Charlottetown exchange call
    1-866-226-8722 (toll free)

    Clients who live outside PEI call
    1-866-226-8722 (long distance charges will apply)

MEP Service online

  • registered clients can obtain case information, ie payments and enforcement actions
  • all other visitors to the site can view general information, FAQ, glossary of terms, MEPS publications and popular topics.

If you require help or further information, please telephone (902) 894-0383 and have your PEI MEP file number ready when you call.  Documentation can be faxed to (902) 368-6934.

If you are a payor, you should be aware that the MEP will take enforcement action against you if payments are not made voluntarily, on time and in full.

Can I withdraw from the program?

Only the payee can withdraw or opt-out of the Program.

If the payee withdraws or opts out, the payee can opt back into the Program by reapplying and completing a registration form. However, if there is a new court order or separation agreement since the payee withdrew, a copy of these documents will need to be filed with MEP. 

If you are thinking about withdrawing, carefully consider the consequences of doing so.  Since all enforcement action is removed when a file is withdrawn, action to collect payment must be replaced.  If circumstances have changed since the enforcement action was removed, it is usually not possible to pick up the enforcement action where it was left off.   

How do I get a court order for the MEP?

To obtain a court order or separation agreement for MEP, it is recommended that you seek help from a lawyer to obtain child or spousal support.  The Child Support Guidelines Officer can also assist if you are willing to represent yourself, and are seeking child support only.

The MEP does not obtain court orders or separation agreements for clients, or adjust the amount of support ordered by a Court.  The MEP does not provide legal advice to clients or deal with custody or access issues.

Contact Us


Service Location

Family Law Centre

back to top