Skip to Main Content
print small medium large 


Child Support Guidelines Office

The Child Support Guidelines Office assists unrepresented parties proceeding through the courts for the first time seeking child support or a variation to an existing child support agreement.

The office can also assist unrepresented parties to obtain child support for the first time or a variation of child support in an existing order by way of a Consent Order without going back to court, if:

  • Both parties are in agreement; and
  • The payor provides proof of the income information required to calculate child support.

What are the Child Support Guidelines?

The Child Support Guidelines protect the best interests of children. The court uses the guidelines to calculate the amount of child support a paying parent must contribute, taking into account the following factors:

  • paying parent’s gross income
  • child or children's living arrangements
  • number of children; and
  • paying parent's province or territory of residence.

Who can use the services of this office?

Anyone seeking information about Child Support Guidelines and/or about filing court applications for child support. Child Support Guidelines Officers are not lawyers and do not provide legal advice.

What other services are provided?

The office coordinates form-based applications going out of province when parties live in two provinces and are not in divorce proceedings (ISO applications) and the office can assist parties who are divorced and want to vary their orders when parties live in two different provinces.

The office collects data on child support for researchers at Justice Canada pursuant to the Divorce Act and the Family Law Act.

What types of expenses are considered under the guidelines?

Expenses related to the basic necessities of life including food, shelter and clothing are considered. The Child Support Guidelines are mandatory with few exceptions. Additional special expenses including child care, health care needs, medical and dental premiums, extraordinary extra-curricular activities and post-secondary education may be awarded at the discretion of the court.

Related Links


General Contact Information

(902) 368-6220

Service Location

Family Law Centre

Summerside Law Courts

back to top