aussi disponible en français
February 10, 2016
For immediate release
Advancing Entrepreneurship is top of mind for Industry and Government
Economic Development and Tourism
View details and
Sean Casey, Member of Parliament for Charlottetown, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA), joined the Honourable Heath MacDonald, PEI Minister of Economic Development and Tourism, and Ron Keefe, Chair, Island Advance Advisory Board today to announce support for Phase II of the work being carried out by Island Advance.
• The Government of Canada, through ACOA’s Business Development Program, is contributing a non-repayable contribution of $225,000 to this project.
• The Government of Prince Edward Island, through Innovation PEI is contributing $162,000 to this project.
• Island Advance aims to foster economic growth across PEI. It has been designed to advance PEI’s economy by creating a supportive environment where entrepreneurs can flourish and success can be celebrated.
• In 2013, the Island Advance Task Force, which included representation from business, education, and government, issued a report identifying priority actions to advance PEI’s economy. Island Advance Phase I began implementation of the priority actions.
• Island Advance Phase II activities carried out to date include the, ‘Advancing Island Connections’, and ‘Advancing Entrepreneurship Among Island Youth’ symposiums. Island Advance is also developing and implementing an entrepreneurship promotional plan, and investor-readiness initiatives.
“Small and medium-sized businesses are the job creators across our country and the Government of Canada is dedicated to helping these entrepreneurs succeed, grow and innovate. I am pleased to announce our Government’s support for Island Advance; this group with its exceptional leadership is identifying and addressing strategic priorities relevant to Prince Edward Island.”
- Mr. Sean Casey, Member of Parliament, Charlottetown on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Science, Innovation and Economic Development and Minister responsible for ACOA
“Our Government is pleased to support the work being carried out by Island Advance. This assistance will aid in the delivery of projects to engage stakeholders and the community to foster and promote a culture of entrepreneurship. It will also generate investment relationships and opportunities throughout the province.”
- The Honourable Heath MacDonald, Minister of Economic Development and Tourism
"Island Advance, a private sector-led initiative to support increased entrepreneurship across the province, greatly appreciates the continued support of the federal and provincial governments. Our efforts to identify business opportunities for newcomers, encourage youth and mid-career Islanders to consider entrepreneurship, and improve access to capital are helping to lay the groundwork for sustained economic growth in PEI."
- Mr. Ron Keefe, Chair, Island Advance Advisory Board