Alberton Parish

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Alberton Parish

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Cascumpeque Parish

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


The Mission of Cascumpeque, Kildare and Tignish was the second Church of England parish established in Prince Edward Island west of St. Eleanors. It later became know as the Parish of Alberton. The first clergyman to minister to the parish was Rev. Robert W. Dyer who arrived in 1859 and for the first few years preached in the school house and Temperance Hall. By the 1890s there were four churches included in the parish: Christ Church at Kildare Capes (built in 1851), St. Peter's in Alberton (the original church at Cascumpeque consecrated in 1869 had been replaced by the second church at Main and Church streets in 1892), Holy Trinity at Alma, and St. Luke's in Alberton (both opened in 1890).

Christ Church at Kildare Capes was destroyed by fire on 18 July 1923 and the Methodist Church at Montrose was purchased and moved to take its place. St. Peter's in Alberton also burned on 5 August 1927 and was rebuilt immediately and consecrated between May of 1929 and May of 1930.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

21 June 2004. Copied from PEIAIN 4 February 2015.





Maintenance notes