Bayer, James A. S.

Identity area

Type of entity


Authorized form of name

Bayer, James A. S.

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



James A. S. Bayer (1878-1928) worked for Gauvin, Gentzel & Company, photographers, in 1904. By 1909 he had established his own photography business at 127 Grafton Street and employed a young Oliver Craswell. By 1924-1925 Bayer had moved his business to 163 Great George Street and Oliver Cleveland Craswell (1892-1966) had set up shop on the same street at #137. Following Bayer's death in 1928 the business continued to operate under the name of The Bayers Studio but was run by W.A. and W.F. Flett. The Craswell Portrait Studio continued operation into the early 1960s.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

RAD 22.1B; 22.12


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

7 June 1999. Entered into AtoM 26 November 2014. Slight revisions 26 November 2014.




Archival reference sources

Maintenance notes