Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The first meeting of the Brackley Women's Institute was held on 2 October 1947 at the Brackley School in Prince Edward Island. The members of the first executive included: Mrs. Guy Pierce (president), Mrs. Douglas Carr (vice-president), Mrs. James MacKay (secretary), and Mrs. George Jackson (treasurer). Thereafter, meetings were held in the homes of members on a monthly basis.
The Brackley Women's Institute directed many of its activities towards the local school, purchasing much needed equipment and supplies such as chairs, deaks, and books. The Institute obtained a music teacher for the school, purchased an organ, and arranged for students to enter the Music Festival. Members also provided treats to the students on on special occasions and offered prizes to the children with the highest marks.
The Brackley Women's Institute was also active in the wider community, participating in the Rural Beautification program and donating money to a wide range of causes, including the Cancer Society, the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Charlottetown, Anderson House in Charlottetown, and the Brackley Church.