Coronation Women's Institute

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Coronation Women's Institute

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


The Coronation Women’s Institute of Park Corner / French River, Prince Edward Island was organized 23 February 1937 by Miss Rodd. The first executive was Mrs. Vere Wheeler (President), Mrs. Ira MacLeod (Vice president), and Miss. Annie Dyment (Secretary Treasurer). It was decided to call the Institute the Coronation Institute in honor of the coronation of sovereign King George VI. Meetings were scheduled for the second Thursday of each month. Fundraising was done by holding dances, pantry sales, pot luck suppers, ice cream socials, card parties and lobster suppers; presenting plays and concerts; selling candy; and renting the refurbished "Institute Room" of the French River hall. The Institute invested significant funds into the upkeep and improvement of the hall. The Coronation Women’s Institute supported the local school by buying janitorial supplies, funding the music teacher for a time and offering treats and prizes to the children. The Institute supported charities by sending boxes overseas to soldiers during the war and making donations to the Easter Seals, the Red Cross and the Multiple Sclerosis Society.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

RAD 24.1


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

13 August 2009. Entered into AtoM 26 September 2016.





Maintenance notes