Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The United Church in Dundas, Prince edward Island began as a Presbyterian congregation. The area was populated circa 1840 by immigrants from the Isle of Skye. At that time occasional services were held for them by Elder Sween Campbell from Brown's Creek in individual homes or they worshipped among themselves . In 1845 a small church was built at Albion Cross where visiting ministers from neighbouring communities held services. In 1859 Dundas was organized as a separate congregation and the first ordained Minister, Rev. Allan MacLean, came in 1862 and remained until 1877. During his tenure a new larger church was completed in 1870. Between 1882 and 1888 Dundas and Cardigan were united in one charge. When this union was dissolved, Dundas was supplied by students and probationers until 1893 when Rev. John Gillis accepted the call.
In 1898, the Annandale congregation, which had begun as Grand River Presbyterian, joined Dundas to form the Dundas and Annandale Charge. The original Annandale church had been shared with the Baptist congregation until a new church opened in1881. The Annandale Presbyterian congregation was initially affiliated with the Bay Fortune and Souris charges. Annandale never had a resident minister and consequently never built a manse.
The Dundas and Annandale charge voted to join union in 1925 and became the Dundas and Annandale pastoral charge of the United Church of Canada. Bridgetown was also part of this congregation. Georgetown, Sturgeon and Milltown Cross formed another pastoral charge. In 1965 the two charges were amalgamated to form the Central Kings Pastoral Charge which became the first charge to have a female minister in the person of Rev. Doreen Wilson.