Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Kingsboro Women's Institute was founded on 8 October 1914. The members of the first executive were Mrs. Standford Robertson (President), Miss Alberta Yates (Vice President), and Mrs. Merril Stewart (Secretary-Treasurer). The Institute originally included members from both the Kingsboro and Red Point areas of Prince Edward Island. In July 1915, however, the group divided into two separate Institutes.
The members of the Kingsboro Women's Institute were active within the local community. They contributed to the building of a new community hall in 1928 and donated a large sum of money when the hall was later renovated. The members also took a particular interest in the local school, providing financial assistance and needed supplies, including blackboards, maps, books for the library, and first aid kits. The Kingsboro Women's Institute also received Rural Beautification prizes for their work on both the hall and school.
The charitable work of the Kingsboro Women's Institute exended far beyond the local community. The group actively participated in Red Cross efforts during and after the World Wars, and made contributions to the Cancer Society and tuberculosis causes.