Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
William Lowe (1809-1887), builder and contractor, came to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island in the summer of 1830 aboard the "Minerva" from Aylsham, Norfolk, England with his first wife Anne Smith (d. 1847). He was involved in various projects for Public Works including work done at Government House and also did work for individuals and institutions such as St. Pauls' Church in Charlottetown and the Catholic Chapel at Rustico. William was appointed Superintendent of Public Works in 1859. There were six children of the first marriage. William was married a second time to Eliza Sentner (1809-1902). Two sons of the first marriage, Walter and George and two of the second marriage, Henry Caleb (1849-1939) and Samuel (1851-1926), followed in their father's footsteps and formed the contracting firm of Lowe Bros. In the 1870s Walter and George left the firm. Walter became and independent contractor whose projects included the Hyndman home on Brighton Road and Falconwood Insane Asylum. Henry and Samuel continued as H.&S. Lowe Brothers for many years They also shared a duplex at 238 Hillsborough Street. Projects undertaken by the firm included the Cameron Block, the DesBrisay Block, St. Paul's Rectory, Bank of Montreal, Central Christian Church, Heartz Memorial Hall, Fennell & Chandler Store, and Hodgson Memorial Chapel.
Samuel Lowe was married to Mary Ellen Stramberg (1860-1923), daughter of Nathaniel P. Stramberg (1834-1912) and Elizabeth Hudson (1831-1875). They had seven children: William Henry, Vernon (d. 1903) Horace Haszard, Samuel Rankin, Marion Elizabeth (who married Edward James Duffy), John James, and Eleanor Mary (teacher at Prince of Wales College). Nathaniel Stramberg was born in River John, N.S. the son of Alexander Stramberg. Early in the 1850s he moved to Belfast, PEI. He was an accountant and an engineer and also an arranger of band and orchestral music. He was associated with Galbraith's Band and was a member of the Charlottetown Orchestral Club. In the 1890's he moved to Victoria, B.C. where he worked for a time for the firm of Fisher, Architects. He had nine children by his first wife Elizabeth and two by his second, Mary Ann Fraser (d. 1912). One of his sons, John Alexander moved to the United States where he changed his name to Stromberg and became the conductor for Weber and Field's Broadway Music Hall Orchestra in New York City.