Forme autorisée du nom
Forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom
Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions
Autre(s) forme(s) du nom
Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités
Zone de description
The Montague Women's Institute was organized on 13 May 1914. The first president was Mrs. David Wright, wife of Rev. David Wright. Early meetings were held in the Institute Rooms (which were also used by the Farmer's Institute in Montague) as well as in members' homes.
During the first World War, the women of the Montague WI focused their efforts on war work. They knit socks, prepared care packages, and raised money for the war effort. The Montague Women's Institute was also very involved in the local school. They helped to raise money for the school which was built in 1925, and regularly purchased much-needed supplies such as desks, blinds, pencil sharpeners, globes, books, and other items.
In more recent years, the Montague Women's Institute remained active in the local community. The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Charlottetown, the annual Music Festival, and programs such as Meals in Motion were just some of the causes taken up by Institute members. The Montague Women's Institute disbanded in 2002.