Type of entity
Authorized form of name
New London - Granville Presbyterian Church
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Presbyterian missionary Rev. James MacGregor visited the settlement of New London, Prince Edward Island, as early as 1806. After that date, Rev. John Kier who lived in Malpeque ministered to the small group of adherents and a log church was built on Yankee Hill in 1816. In 1826 Rev. Hugh Dunbar settled in the community and stayed until 1835. The arrival of a large body of Scots in the early 1830s necessitated larger accommodation for worship services with the result that two buildings were erected, one on each side of the South West River. The church on the south side took the name of St. John's and for about ten years Rev. John McLennan, the Kirk minister of Belfast, PEI, oversaw the work of the elders and conducted communion and baptism on a yearly basis. Rev. Alexander Sutherland was appointed minister in 1852 by the Free Church Presbytery of Pictou. During his tenure, he also served a newly formed congregation in Granville. After his departure in 1859 the congregations of Granville and New London South (Clifton) met with the assistance of supply ministers until the arrival in 1865 of Rev. Donald McDougall. He resigned after two years and Rev. Alexander Cameron of New London North filled the gap until Rev. John Murray took the pastoral charge for two years. In 1877 the north and south churches were reunited under Rev. Isaac Murray who stayed for a year. The charges once more were separated and the pulpits of Clifton and Granville remained vacant until Rev. Alexander Sterling accepted a call. He was still there in 1892 when Summerfield was added to the charge.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
26 March 2007. Copied from PEIAIN 29 April 2015.