Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The New London’s Women’s Institute was first founded on 18 June 1913. The members of the first executive were Mrs. Archibald Campbell (President), Mrs. Harlan Found (Vice President), and Mrs. Walter Found (Secretary Treasurer). The first directors were Mrs. Lockhart, Mrs. C. MacGregor, and Mrs. Margaret Stevanson. The New London Women’s Institute held lecture series, ice cream socials, and cake sales to raise funds to improve their community and their country. Some of their projects included purchasing boots for local children, improving the local school system, visiting the sick, and donating to the orphanages. They worked closely with the Red Cross during the First World War, and raised relief funds after the Halifax Explosion. Interest in the Institute began to dwindle after the First World War, and the Institute disbanded in early 1923.
The New London Women’s Institute reformed on 27 November 1934. Its new founding executive was Mrs. George Coles (President), Mrs. Harold Mayhew (Vice President), and Miss Irene Wyand (Secretary Treasurer). The directors included Mrs. Foster Dunning, Mrs. Chester Buntain, and Mrs. Harold Dunning. The Institute would again work closely with the Red Cross during the Second World War, and would continue its work in the community, raising funds for the improvement of the school and the community hall, among many other projects.