Youth Advisory Committee
Abigail Sawyer, former member and current Leader with the Wheatley River 4-H Club is the current Youth Advisory Committee (YAC) representative for PEI.
Abby started her two-year term in February, 2016 and may be contacted through the PEI Provincial Council office at: 902-368-4833 or email@example.com.
The Youth Advisory Committee (YAC) is the national youth voice for 4-H Canada, providing leadership opportunities for outstanding young people from across the country who have been part of 4-H and want to continue to play a role and contribute. YAC is made up of 12 provincial members who:
- meet online as a committee on a regular basis and in-person 1-2 times per year (at the expense of 4-H Canada);
- play important ambassador roles within their provinces;
- make recommendations to 4-H Canada regarding programming, policy development, marketing and communications; and
- represent 4-H Canada at events and conferences!
Guidelines for becoming a YAC member:
- Applicant must be between ages 18-25. (Candidates turning 18 within their first year as a YAC member will be considered on a case-by-case basis and must have parental permission for all YAC activities.)
- Youth advisors must be current 4-H members (or past members in good standing)
- Commitment to volunteer at least 2 hours/month and additional time as required
- Demonstrate knowledge of 4-H locally, regionally and nationall
- Demonstrate interest in public speaking, group facilitation and being a team player
- Must be willing to travel within Canada (to Ottawa in February for the Leader Summit and at least one additional trip within Canada (TBA), depending on working group requirements)
YAC membership terms:
YAC member terms last two (2) years, with the possibility of renewal for an additional one or two year term. Extension of a YAC member's term must be agreed to by the 4-H provincial office and 4-H Canada.
- Standard application form
- Interview including a brief presentation by the applicant