Public Service Commission
About Career Planning
Career Planning is the important process of determining the ideal career for you and figuring out how to turn it into reality. It is estimating, predicting and calculating all the steps needed to achieve your goals.
Effective career planning is a process that can continue throughout your work life. As your life changes, so too can your career plan to reflect your new situation.
The ways in which careers have been viewed has been steadily changing over the years. Careers have changed from being clearly defined to increasingly fluid. The once well defined career paths have been replaced with paths that go in all directions.
Common career issues include:
- Work/life imbalance
- Skill/job mismatch
- Constant change
With the changing look of careers taking place it is becoming increasingly important to focus on career planning.
Benefits of career planning include:
- Manage stress of organizational change
- Develop meaningful career goals and objectives
- Develop a skill portfolio
- Increase job satisfaction
- Plan your learning needs
- Improve communication and alignment
1. Know yourself: Once you have a better understanding of who you are and what you want/need you can work towards choosing a career path that is right for you.
2. Research options: Using various research techniques will reveal the many opportunities available to you.
3. Set your goals: It is time to determine which opportunity is best for you.
4. Make a plan: Once you have determined where you want to go it is time to map out how you are going to get there.
The following tools can be used to kickstart your own career planning process: